Anderson Cooper is leaving his famous TV show. The reason behind the broadcast journalist’s quiet exit has nothing to do with contracts or controversy.
A major shift is coming to Sunday nights. After nearly 20 years on “60 Minutes,” Anderson Cooper is stepping away, and the real reason unfolds far from the studio lights.
For viewers who have followed his reporting since 2007, the departure marks a turning point for the iconic CBS newsmagazine. Conversations about his future had been underway, hinting that this moment might arrive.

Anderson Cooper attends the Sean Penn CORE Gala at The Wiltern in Los Angeles on January 5, 2019 | Source: Getty Images
Details of the Journalist Leaving the Show
According to People, Anderson will not renew his contract with CBS, officially ending his tenure as a correspondent. The move closes out nearly two decades with the program.
As Variety reported, he had been in talks about extending his deal. Ultimately, he chose to concentrate more fully on his expanding role at another network.
In a statement, CBS News said it is “grateful” for the years he devoted to the broadcast and added that “’60 Minutes’ will be here if he ever wants to return.”

But the business explanation only tells part of the story.
Why He Is Leaving the CBS Show
The clearest reason came directly from Anderson himself. The acclaimed journalist told People:
“For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time with me.”

Leave a Reply